Saturday, December 19, 2009

It's completely still here in the Cove. The tree branches are bending under the weight of heavy snow. I count the minutes between cars driving down the road. 1..2...5...10...20 minutes. Everythig moves slowly. There is no need to rush.

My mother has found boxes of Christmas decorations from the home I shared with Greg. I'm finding memories from those happier times all over my parent's house. Ornamements that we bought at a tiny road side store one summer hang on the tree. Quirky decorations that I made as a joke sit proudly on the window sill. The delicate snowman he bought me when I was in the hospital has found a new home on the end table. Every time I turn around there is another memory staring me in the face. The life I thought I wanted mocking me at every possible chance.

Life is very different now. Life is not what I thought it would be. I'm the last of my friends and family to be alone. I fear I will become the unfortunate Mrs. Haversham who cannot escape the ghosts of her past.

The spiked egg nog is calling for me....

No comments:

Post a Comment