Thursday, September 17, 2009

Airport scenes

Confession: I love airports.

Some of my favourite places are international airports. My love for airports has absolutely nothing to do with planes, or air traffic control, or even the mechanics of aviation. I adore airports because you see real love there.

I get a bit of a high from standing at the arrivals gate and watching as people wait to greet their family, friends, lovers. I wait to see that one couple that just light up when they make eye contact for the first time after being apart. You can't hide that kind of love. It's genuine. The friends who haven't seen each other in ages and are giddy with the excitement of telling all their catch-up stories. The lovers who try everything in their might not to break into a sprint and jump into their partners arms. The families who are shocked by how much the kids have grown in such a short time. It's beautiful.

Some day I hope I find out what it feels like to be the traveller coming home to someone who loves her.

No comments:

Post a Comment