Wednesday, September 23, 2009

All God's creatures

Confession: I live in a hick-town that is almost charming....ALMOST.

This town has a very strange culture. It is like a honkey tonk teenager trying to make it in the big city. There is a major alpha-male complex experienced by anything with a Y chromosone...and some with two Xs. I have never seen Dodge and Ford trucks of such a ridiculous size before. Your worth in this town is measure by how big your truck is. No kidding. It really is.

There are moments here when I almost find it charming though. I like going to the local IGA and hearing "looks she's the new teacher". Apparently after almost a year in this town, I'm still new. I like experiencing the rodeos and how the whole town takes such pride in breaking out their cowboy hats for that one day a year. I find it endearing to watch the people come out of the wood-work to cheer on the local hockey team for EVERY game they play. Apparently, other teams hate coming here to compete because of the insane amount of fans that show up. Imagine if we had the NHL?!

Just over 9000 and the heart of 70 000. I'll never get used to the mullets and terrible fashion. But you gotta admire the heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment