Thursday, September 17, 2009

I believe in miracles...

Serendipity.

I'm in Saskatoon. My fourth Canadian city in three days. New cities are always the same. There is an excitement and wonder as you walk the streets and see the sites. New cities are sometimes very lonely places...until serendipity gives you a sign.

Just last night I had a conversation with a dear friend about serendipity. Fate. Fortunate accidents. Right place, right time. Call it what you want. Today, I was walking through the streets of Saskatoon and feeling a little lonely. I turned to corner and heard a beautiful song. A man was playing on the side of the road. He had a hat on the ground in front of him and a copy of the book Field. I couldn't move. I stood and listened as he sang.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoSL_qayMCc&feature=fvw

When things went pear-shaped with Steve, he sent me an email saying that he was reading the book Field and trying to make sense of what was happening. He loved me but couldn't be with me. Where was the justice or purpose in that? He often sends me a "song of the day" to let me know he is thinking about me. Not long ago, I received an email with the song I heard today. I have no idea why serendipity sent this situation to me today. Maybe it was just to let me know that somewhere out there in this big ol' world, there is a man who once loved me for me. He loved me just the way I am.

Love.

Everyone wants it. If fact, it really is a basic human need. We are social creatures, which is probably to our disadvantage in the 21st century. Society has created an environment of business and technology and a constant hurry to get anywhere (the destination is irrelevant). In our strive to become better, faster and stronger as individuals we have forgotten how to be compassionate, trusting and happy.

What is the measure of happiness? Is it the amount of hours you spend at work? The professional accomplishments? The framed degrees on the wall and line of letters at the end of one's name? I think it is so much more than all of those things. I think that it is so much less complicated than that.

Confession: I lie to myself on a regular basis. It's a terrible habit stemming from a desire for self-preservation.

This blog is supposed to be one of truth. Brutal honesty. So here is what I believe...

I believe that true love exists. I believe that you can love more than one person throughout your life. Love does not guarantee a fairy tale ending. It only guarantees that your heart will swell and possibly break like you never thought was possible. I believe in angels in the streets and signs all around us. It's all right there. The road map to happiness is shown to each and every one of us every day. We just need to open our eyes and hearts and follow the signs. I believe that signs will come around when you least expect and sometimes, they present themselves just to let you know you aren't alone in the world. There is someone out there who loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment